This is the first in a series of articles that will highlight prominent people in the Dfinity ecosystem. It will give the readers insights into their mind and an opportunity to make a deep dive into their universe. You will get to know more about them in a fun and engaging way. Dfinity team members, builders, devs, investors, influencers, playing a big role in the Internet Computer will be featured. There are so many of you guys accomplishing big things, I felt it was important to let the world know about you. You deserve it, and much more.
For this first article, Barry Paisley, founder of Canistore, was the obvious pick. You will understand why when you read his interview below. The more you get to know Barry the more you love him. It’s that simple. Barry has a unique energy, and I thought people in the Dfinity ecosystem should know Barry better. Not only he deserves it, but I’m sure you will all love him, and love Canistore even more!
Before the interview I highly recommend you to read this very inspiring article titled Journey — Intro written by Barry. It is the best way to know how Canistore got started and I can already tell you that you will find inspiration, positive energies, and important life lessons in it. If you’re interested in Canistore, it is really a must read.
• When did you know you wanted to be an entrepreneur?
I don’t think I ever aimed to be an entrepreneur; fundamentally, I have always wanted to make a difference in other people’s lives.
• Where did the idea of Canistore come from?
It came from attending Dfinity’s Tungsten event online in June 2020. I saw CanCan and had my first introduction into canisters and what they can do. Naturally my brain tried to connect this technology to what I know. Greg, a good friend of mine who I also class as a mentor had been following the IC project 3/4 years prior. he has been key to helping me understand how the technology works.
• How did you start Canistore?
After Tungsten, Greg and I spoke on the phone for at-least 4/5 hours per day. After a week or so we had the name! Having skills in design we were able to create the branding. Once done, we started visualising the functions and how they would help creators such as artists, DJs and producers.
• What’s your favourite metaphor for describing Canistore?
Canistore is like an online ‘Swiss army knife’ for creators.
• Considering the fierce competition in today’s music industry, how would you highlight Canistore’s competitive advantages? What makes it stand out of the crowd?
Many in this space focus on content ownership which is great, but Canistore also focuses on providing most (if not all) the tools needed to maintain that ownership. The current system of the music industry can be great for some, I’ve also witnessed music creators scream for an alternative to the current system. Independence has been the hot topic of the decade; how many artists are truly independent? When creators are not being taken advantage of by record labels, they are unfairly treated by social media platforms and digital distributors who take all the fame and finance.
• What kind of culture exists in Canistore, and how did you establish it?
It’s the want for change. We are tired of the current setup, we would like ownership and control over our content and social media. Digital content is at the forefront of culture, while the creators are scrapping the bottom of the barrel, how and why??? These are the questions we ask, as a community this is an issue we would like to solve.
• What does your typical workday at Canistore look like?
Non-stop meetings with the team, brain-storming ideas while planning how to execute them.
• What do you enjoy most about what you do?
I love when artists and potential users see how Canistore can make an impact on their lives and careers.
• How would you like people to remember you and Canistore?
As the team who broke the broken cycle.
• What are you most excited about at Canistore right now?
For me it’s the fact that all users have the chance to own a slice of Canistore. Excited to see how users interact especially when it comes to voting about the future of the platform.
• What can Dfinity community do to support Canistore?
Spread the word! We are launching a referral program as an incentive to share. By sharing your earning.
• Tell us more about yourself : what kind of person are you?
I live in my head, it’s an awesome place, I’m always thinking or dreaming. My decisions sway more towards emotion than logic, I’m aware of this so I give myself time to think. I’m from place in South London that many do not make it out of, I guess that has given me tough skin too. I like to consider myself as a well rounded individual.
• What important truth do very few people agree with you on?
The universe speaks to me in code, I listen.
• What would you do to pass time if you were shut inside a small cabin, alone for 3 months, high up in the mountains?
I would write an album.
• What’s the craziest thing you did on a dare?
Honestly, I find it hard to participate in something I don’t believe in. I do crazy things on my own accord.
• What’s your craziest party story?
Around 2004 I was on stage with Mad Professor at the couleur cafe festival in Belgium. A lady in a wheelchair managed to get to the front of thousands of people, she then threw herself on stage to grab my leg. Security swiftly removed her; it was a laugh I will never forget.
• If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
Love not war! No more war.
• If you had a personal flag, what would be on it?
Something representing freedom.
• Do you have any weird superstitions?
• What’s something you think everyone should try at least once?
Travelling, seeing the world is a must.
• What’s your favorite genre of book or movie?
Sci-fi, Star trek discovery on Netflix was dope!
• What mystery do you wish you knew the answer to?
Does life exist on other planets, does space even exist.
• If you could have a super power, what would it be?
Teleportation or time travel, close call.
• Which song would you say resembles your life the most?
Nathan — Soon Come
• Which song would be like a window into your soul?
• What songs have you completely memorized?
When I migrated to Jamaica as a child, I memorized most of the 90’s Jamaican Dancehall songs.
• What was your favorite song as a kid?
Bounty killer ft Barrington Levy — Living Dangerously
Richie Spice — Grooving my girl
• What is your favorite music genre?
A few. Reggae, Dancehall and UK garage.
• Do you sing or play an instrument?
Sing, rap and produce. Never learnt to play any live instruments.
• You can only bring 3 albums with you to a desert island. What are they?
1- Sticky fingers — The autobiography of Kirk Jones
2- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
3- Any 2pac or Biggie Album
• What is the best concert you have ever been to?
The redbull culture clash
• Who’s your go-to band or artist when you can’t decide on something to listen to?
2pac or Biggie
• Do you play any sports?
Used to play football, was ok but better at making music.
• What is your drink of choice?
Moroccan mint tea
• What’s your favorite time of day?
• Where do you usually go when you have time off?
Back into my head lol
• Where is the most interesting place you’ve been?
• What city would you most like to live in?
Somewhere in Africa
• What is your favorite place of visit?
• Are you into collecting?
No, but I would like to collect retro gaming consoles.
• What’s your favorite ice cream topping?
I try to avoid dairy products, If I had to choose it would be a chocolate flake.
• Where’s the next place on your travel bucket list and why?
Ethiopia, not sure why. I just feel it.
• What’s your favorite way to spend a day off?
Chilling, chilled and relaxed!
• What kind of art do you enjoy most?
Not sure, my favourite form of art is music.
• What’s the first thing you do in the morning?
Wake up! only joking lol I have a good think about my day with a cup of mint tea.
• At a party, where can someone find you?
Infp, I’ll always be at the side-lines unless I’m performing.
• What is one or two of your favorite smells?
Food when I’m hungry.
• If you could have a never-ending candle that smelled like anything you wanted, what fragrance would you want it to be?
The country sides of Jamaica
• If you could talk to one species of animal, which would you choose?
• What would be your spirit animal?
• What is your favorite animal?
Haven’t got one, I love life.
• What pets did you have while you were growing up?
A dog and tropical fishes
• What was your favorite subject in school?
Geography and Drama
• If you could magically learn one language, which one would you pick?
Arabic, Mandarin or Spanish
• What’s the most useful thing you learned at school?
How to be street smart, I went to a rough school.
• What’s the most useful thing you’ve learned from your parents?
Life outside of the western world
• What’s the hardest lesson you’ve learned?
Controlling my emotions
• What small gesture from a stranger made a big impact on you?
Saying “I feel your aura, its very powerful”.
• Are there any people you’d give up your kidney for?
Yes and that goes beyond family.
• What do you look for in a relationship?
• Among your friends or family, what are you famous for?
Known for music among my friends and the favourite grand-child of my family.
• What do you value most in a friend?
Also unconditional love
• What’s your definition of love?
• Do you think that judging people based on their looks makes sense?
• What personality traits do you share with your relatives?
• Do you believe in a bright future for humanity?
• Do you have a purpose guiding you through life?
Yes, the universe and natural energy
• If you had a year left to live, what would you do?
Set my family and friends up assets and financial freedom
• What’s the best birthday gift you ever got?
A stay from my girlfriend in a cabin in the country side, decorated with balloons and birthday décor.
• What gives your life meaning?
My daughter’s future
• What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?
I’m guilty of using the word at times, but honestly…..I don’t believe in luck
• What’s the title of the current chapter of your life?
Make it happen — season one, episode one.
• What book impacted you the most?
• What mystery do you wish you knew the answer to?
What is it that I am connected to spiritually?
• Do you think that inspiration plays an important role in your line of work?
Yes, my work is always inspired by my thoughts and what I experience in life
• What are you looking forward to in the coming months?
Canistore’s MVP launch
• What are you most looking forward to in the next 10 years?
Living life, god willing.
• Who inspires you to be better?
My daughter and my girlfriend.
• When do you feel truly “alive”?
When I am on holiday
• What was the best compliment you’ve received?
You are powerful
• What do you want your epitaph to be?
He saw, he came, he conquered.
• If you could make a 20-second phone call to yourself at any point in your life present or future, when would you call and what would you say?
To myself back in 2014 — Abort mission!
• What were some of the turning points in your life?
When covid hit and I lost what I thought was all.
9. THIS OR THAT
• Dog or Cat?
Dog, but I like cats too
• Netflix or YouTube?
Tough call, it depends on how I feel. If I want to indulge Netflix. YouTube if I want to keep it light while keeping my mind active.
• Phone Call or Text?
• Cardio or Weights?
• While walking: Music or Podcasts?
• Swimming or Sunbathing?
• Big Party or Small Gathering?
• What’s worse: Laundry or Dishes?
• Hamburger or Pizza?
• Online Shopping or Shopping in a Store?
• Blue or Red?
• Pancake or Waffle?
• Meat or Vegetables?
• Ocean or Mountains?
Mountain with ocean view
• Horror Movie or Comedy Movie?
• Winter or Summer?
• Beer or Wine?
• Coffee Or Tea?
If not mint tea then its coffee
• Cups In The Cupboard: Right Side Up Or Up Side Down?
Right side up
• Truth Or Dare?
• Alone Or In A Crowd?
• Dancing Or Singing?
What a pleasure to meet Barry!
Isn’t it a great pleasure to meet Barry? I told you guys you would love him! Barry answered 105 questions to meet you! It tells a lot about him and his intense focus to build Canistore for us.
If you enjoyed this interview, please show some love to Barry and Canistore! 💙🎤🎵
The ICP maximalist
Building the ICP Maximalist Network (ICPMN), this ICC media hub, and a new initiative coming soon to build IC projects and get more involved with early stage IC projects. Always feel free to contact me for any inquiry.
Follow @ICPmaximalist on Twitter
Connect with @ICPmaximalist on Distrikt
Connect with @ICPmaximalist on DSCVR
Join our ICPMN telegram channel to discuss all things related to the IC and connect with amazing people